Just be able to cast out a bait from the shore isn’t going to satisfy you as a surf angler. It will be more satisfying for you if you were able to catch your own bait, apply the right fishing method at the right time, caught n land a decent fish all by yourself. To be able to fulfill this, beside many years of fishing experience needed, you also need many type of shore tackles, good casting technic n master all the knowledge of shore fishing. Below is what you need to become a specialize surf angler.
OWN MULTI ACTION RODS FOR DIFFERENCE METHODS OF FISHING.
1) A medium to heavy action 12-13ft surf rod for targeting monster fish at beach or jetty.
2) A light to medium action 12ft surf rod for general fishing at beach or jetty.
3) A 10ft. light to medium action spinning for poping, long range luring or use for general lobbing a bait nearby at pier or breakwater stone.
4) A light spinning rod for jigging, casting of lure or catching bait fish with small bait.
HAVE MULTI TYPE OF REELS FOR DIFFERENCE FISHING NEED.
1) A heavy surf multiplyier or big size fixedspool reel that can load up to 250 meter of 30lbs monoline. for heavy fishing.
2) A light to medium multiplyier or fixedspool reel that can load up to 200 meter of 20lbs monoline for general fishing.
3) A small spinning reel with 12lbs monoline for luring, jigging or catching bait fish.
STORE n SELF TIE MULTI TYPE OF SURF RIGS FOR DIFFERENCE FISHING NEED.
A good surf angler should always have all sort of difference kind fishing rig sets pre- tie n ready to be use. It basic consist of:
1) Single hook long snood bottom feeder rig for use at fast current flow area and for targeting big bottom fish.
2) Single hook short snood bottom feeder rig for slow current flow area.
3) Two hook apollo rig for general fishing.
4) Many sets of bait fish rig like(tamban rig or multi hook for catching sand eel.)
HAVE DIFFERENCE SIZE OF SURFCASTING WEIGHT
1) Size 5 n 6 casting grip lead for use at strong current area.
2) Size 4, 5 n 6 plain lead for use during slow current time.
3) Size 3 plain lead for lobbing small bait nearby or to snaggy area.
4) Size 0.5 to 1 small lead for jigging used.
MASTER DIFFERENCE KNOWLEDGES AND SKILLS
1) A specialize surf angler should have the knowledge of reading the tide n current flow direction at the place he is fishing.
2) He must be able to identify all the common species of fishes, the behaviour, its feeding habits and what type of rig to use to target them.
3) He should possess the gut, a steady mindset and the skill to fight a monster fish should the occasion arise.
4) Must have all the knowledges n skill of tying different kind of rigs
5) Know how to secure n properly hook all sorts of baits.
6) He should master the skill of casting difference size multiplyier without a spool overrun.
7).Able to cast a multiplyier or fixedspool reel in a straight direction.
8) Can fish independently without any assistance.
9) Skill n knowledge of catching his own baits.
10) Knowledge on how to store the bait in the best condition.
If you have all the above requirement, congratulation, you are now a specialize surf angler.
The correct angle to erect your surf rod holder and when to strike.
As a surf angler we normally cast out our rod n place it at a railing or on a rod holder. How many of you notice this will affect your striking n hookup when you erect the rod holder at a wrong angle? If you place the rod on a railing then there is not much problem as the rod will be at about 30 degree angle. It gave you a very large angle to flip your rod backward. But if you place your rod on a rod holder erected at 90 degree.(Many tie their rod holder on the railing) It gave you very little angle to flip your rod backward. This will affect the hook set in.
The correct way to place your rod holder is to erect it at 45-60 degree angle. This will leave you lots of space to strike your rod backward. Indirectly it help a better hookup.
Best is to use this type of rod stand. The “V”angle of the stand hold firmly on the sandy beach.
The correct timing to strike is when you see your rod tip bend. Pick up your rod n gave a strong flip backward straight away. If you miss the first bend of the rod tip, then wait for the second time. It won’t be long if the fish is still there. Once you feel the weight of the catch then you can close your alarm n lock your drag.
Never do this if you spot the rod tip bend:
1)Pick up the rod n wait for the fish to pull.=Result= fish feel the movement of the rod n throw out the bait.
2)Pick up the rod, close the alarm, lock the drag=Result= fish already say bye to you long ago.
3)Pick up the rod n lower the tip ready waiting to strike.=Result=Once the rod tip is lower, your main line is slack. This gave the fish a chance to say bye bye.
4)If you spot some rattle on the rod tip, do not pick up n strike immediately. It could be crab or other feeding on your bait. Best is wait a little n keep you eye on the rod tip n see if it continue. If still have movement then strike straight away.
Do this immediately if found your main line suddenly slack.
1) Pick up the rod n strike backward until the line is straighten if the slack is not much.
2) If there is lots of slack line, then no choice, wind back the line as fast as possible n strike once you feel the tension.
Follow the above method closely and it will help you to a greater hookup rate.