I broke my personal best record on Cobia

Date: 03-02-2007 Time: 0845am Rod: Penn Powergraph Surf 12ft. Reel: Penn 500L Jigmaster. Line: 30lbs mono join with 40lbs leader. Rig: Long snood bottom feeder Hook: Long Shank Stainless steel size 5/0 Bait: Fresh dead tamban

It all started on yesterday night 02-02-07 around 8.30pm. I was just back from work when I recieved a call from Budgeye, a member of fishingnewsroom. He was interested to join me on tonight fishing. I told him I hasn’t decide where to go. I quickly took a bath n after this I gave him a call that I wanted to headed down to bedok jetty. The tide was coming up n the north east wind was blowing endlessly. Quickly set up my two rods n casted out. About twenty minute later budgeye joined me. He casted out a heavy tackle set n a lighter spinning one. It was his lighter set that perform well tonight. Within two hour n only four cast, he landed a 2kg conger eel, a white strip eel type catfish, a guramah n a small little marine catfish. Our heavy sets got nothing. It was quite cold after midnight n we decide to packup around 2am. He headed home while I went to take a rest on my multi purpose van.

Wakeup around 7.30am n headed in to the jetty. The T-juntion front was quite occupied n only left the right side end have some space. Decide to take it as the tide is coming up. This morning the current is smooth but the sea is quite choppy as the surface wind is strong. After setting up, went to jig for tamban. Not even one caught after sometime. The old men(Ah Meng) who sell tamban jig was ready to go back n offer me his only one tua bak n five tamban he got it earlier. With this baits, I quickly went to cast it out.

I was about to go n jig for more tamban when my Penn 500L Jigmaster reel alarm went off. Quickly turn back pickup the rod n strike. From far I saw a huge shadow jump up from the water surface n went down again. My mind was thinking I got a big queenie. The fish didn’t do any more jumping again n the fight become tougher n stronger. After some tug of war, I manage to bring the fish closer but it still under water. It swim inward to my left side n entangle another fishing line. I told the owner to release his line n the fish wanted to headed straight under the jetty. But by this time my 40lbs leader already a few round turn in my spool n I quickly climb up the jetty railing n steer the fish out. By now it has already surface n all who present there can see it was a huge cobia. Upon seeing this, I get my self mentally prepare for a tough fight by keeping the line tight n short. The fish make a quick dash toward my right side by stripping some line out n headed again for the under of the jetty. I have to climb up the railing again to steer it out. With my 40lbs leader in the spool, I am very comfident of controlling it.

But to my surprise, when I saw my hook was just about one centimetre hook inside the upper jaw of the fish, my heart is worried. It mean with any loosen of the line between me n the fish, with just a shake of the head, the hook can be easily come out. By now a malay uncle has bring along his rope gaff n try to gaff it for me. After a few try, he manage to just hook up alittle on the side of the fish. He try to pull it n the fresh tear. The fish make a dash n the rope gaff got entangle with my rig body. I started to shout for another gaff. A father n son team has it but take sometime to fixed up. Meanwhile I manage to bring the fish head above the water while it still struggling around. It take about five minute for the gaff to fixed up n within this time is really a torture n stressful for me due to the weak hookup. I have bring my own gaff but I can’t hand the rod to someone else as any mistake mean the fish will be gone n I just don’t like to take the risk. It took about 11 years for me to hookup such a big one after my team landed a 20kg one years back.

The gaff finally ready n come along. A good gaff on the belly of the fish n it was pull up by two guys. Wow! finally I can relaxed. Many photos were taken n I thanks all who come n help. I took out my 22kg weigh but the fish was too heavy for it. Many present there guess it was above 30kg but to my experience, I will put it at 25kg. An hour later, I was on the floor cutting out the fish. I divide it into 9 pieces n pass it to those who help landing it. All are smiling n deep inside my heart I was so happy as I just broke my personal best record on cobia by surf fishing.



One thought on “I broke my personal best record on Cobia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s